Saturday, July 10, 2010

I have found my domestic goddess

A fancy publisher in fancy San Francisco asked me to read a review a book~the anti-Martha book. Now I love Martha as much as the next woman but she makes me feel, well, like a domestic loser. No matter how hard I try I cannot make a perfect pie crust (mainly because I'm to friggin lazy), I can't make jam, jelly, grow herbs, make a perfect sour dough bread or fold a fitted sheet. When I was asked to read "Life's Too Short To Fold Fitted Sheets", I almost flew to San Fran myself to hug, kiss and serve a store bought cake (that I put on my own cake stand and took credit for making) to the author, Lisa Quinn. The book came this week, I tore into the package (and threw the paper in the trash because I forgot to recycle it) and opened it up, found these words of wisdom " Change what you can/accept what you can't (or decorate around the ugly stuff)". Not even the Dali Lama himself has uttered words so wise. I invite you to read along with me. When you run out tonight to get a package of something to open for dinner (besides your wine), stop by the bookstore and get a copy of "Life's Too Short To Fold Fitted Sheets" and learn to embrace your half-assedness like me! I will be posting after each chapter so read along, I don't want to be a slack-ass mom by myself! Up first The Lackadaiscial Lifestyle (as if there is any other lifestyle) 
lifestooshortbooknew.jpg




 
If you are a real Martha and can actually make a pie crust and the pie pan to serve it in, you can read "Women, Food and G-d" which I am reading and posting about on the amazing Mom Renewal Project.


WFG-193x300.jpg

Leave me a comment over there and let me know if you are going to read along so I can watch for you over at Mom Renewal Project.  My first post is up over there so check it out and let me know what you think! 


4 comments:

Babes Mami said...

I will check it out! I'm like a half breed, I love to bake and have things organized but I am very not Martha!

Lift Like A Mom said...

I am on the hunt for my domestic goddess! Haha :) I'll look for this book and when I get it, I will have to let you know!

sm said...

life's also too short to fold your children's clothes - they only end up a jumbled mess after they go looking for their fav t-shirt :)
therefore,
it is better to invest in a dresser with numerous drawers and assign articles:
pjs
underwear
sox
t shirts
etc

Alexandra said...

Hi, followed you over from MomRenewal Project. Fascinating writers over there, so decided I'd check out their blogs. I was right, fabulous posts here as well.

Pleasure to meet you.